Search This Blog

Saturday 28 January 2017

Joy!

Every year around Christmas time, God blesses me with a new, special revelation! Last year it was the symbolism of the lights on our Christmas tree. The year before that was how our words and the people in our lives are gifts both to others and to ourselves. Well, this year I was relishing in the word JOY and what it really means, especially over the Christmas season.

My Pastor says that joy is a gift from God that can only truly be experienced when you know Him. Those that don't know God, are only capable of experiencing moments of happiness. 

So I've been reflecting on the difference between happiness and joy. The dictionary regards them the same, but the Bible verses I've read, seem to regard joy as a much deeper, inner kind of happiness, not based on our situation or experience.  Being happy is merely a surface emotion, but feeling joy is like a bubble that fizzes from the inner soul, our heart. 
 
In studying the various facets of joy, I've discovered the words en-JOY, JOY-ous and re-JOY-ce, which now holds a deeper meaning to me.

We can always choose to be happy, but joy is a fruit of the spirit that God blesses us with when we choose to follow Christ. The verse that says 'The Joy of the Lord is my strength', means that God's joy can sustain us during life's occasional bouts of despair and depression.  Our joy also needs to be based on our gift of salvation, for therein lies the very key for its activation in our lives. 

So as I will be seeking joy in my own life this year, I wish you too a joy-filled 2017! May all your memorable happy moments of pure bliss, burn a fire in your heart that warms you from the inside.  And as you experience those moments, be sure to spread your joy to others, like butter on warm toast...

No comments:

Post a Comment