Search This Blog

Thursday 4 January 2018

A New Year to a New You

A lot of people celebrate New Year's with special traditions.  For our family, with my husband being Scottish, we enjoy a home-made Steak pie for New Years.  I'm not sure what the significance is, but we like it.  I heard today of another tradition of eating 12 grapes and making 12 wishes for the coming year, which I am going to adopt for next year.  

Seeing out the old year should be celebrated with family or good friends - and as the Scottish song says in  'Auld Lang Syne', we should be mindful of those people who have impacted our lives during the past year, whether family, friends or merely just acquaintances and try to make contact with those we have lost touch with.

I like to do some soul searching on New Year's Day and ponder the many lessons that I've learnt from all the mistakes and poor choices I've made during the past year.  Then I like to ponder on the many blessings that I am most thankful for and what changes I would like to make in the new year.

Instead of calling them resolutions, I like to call them goals, which I try to set with clear, specific achievable targets.  These don't only include physical things like losing weight or exercising more, but I believe it is also important to set spiritual goals, to ensure that you are forever growing as a Christian.

I have discovered that without a dream or vision for the future, or merely a decision to improve ourselves or change the things we don't like, we will find ourselves at the end of the year filled with regret, and with nothing productively achieved, and nothing to be proud of.  

So if you want 2018 to be a great year, then I challenge you to make a list of all the changes you would like to see happen - whatever addiction you need to conquer, or attitude you need to change or improve, set tangible, mini goals that will motivate you to stay committed in achieving them.

Ignore the usual resolution jokes of quitting in the first week or month - 'resolve' yourself to stick with it, no matter what, so that at the end of 2018, you can look back and be proud of what you have accomplished. 

When this year ends, you can either be a better you, or the same - the choice is yours!




  

2 comments:

  1. For a New Year's celebration, my family has something called "Hoppin' John"--black eyed peas with ham, served with collard greens and cornbread, and my family cooks rice to go with it. Everything but the rice signifies money. Aren't New Year's traditions great? And you're right, we do get to choose whether or not the new year actually means something significant. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment - I appreciate your feedback & sharing your New Years food tradition - sounds yummy & so great that it signifies something. Will need to find out the significance of a steak pie...

      Delete