Search This Blog

Sunday 19 May 2019

The Sacrifice of Feeling Foolish

When you make yourself available to God and start asking Him to use you, you can be guaranteed that He will call you to do and say things that may make you feel foolish.  The problem is, if you are anything like me, we begin to doubt that those stirrings in our heart or ideas in our thoughts might not be from God, so we talk ourselves out of it.

It takes courage to trust that we have heard from God correctly, and there is the fear and risk of feeling or sounding foolish when we step out in faith.  Whether it is doing an act of kindness like paying for someone's groceries or sharing a word of encouragement to someone God has laid on our heart or even to be as bold as sharing the Gospel with a complete stranger, it is our obedience that God is testing.  Will we sacrifice our ego to maybe feel or look a little foolish?  

The challenge for us is to trust that we have indeed heard and interpreted God's message correctly and to take a leap of faith and as Nike says, just DO IT!  When we delay our obedience, the devil will be sure to use that pause to plant doubts in our minds, which will drain our courage to be used by God. 

I am ashamed to admit that there have been many times where I've chickened out, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that even if it was not entirely from God, if it's good and right, then what harm can it do?  Surely our obedience should be more important to us than feeling foolish.  So next time I feel inspired to be used as God's instrument, I intend to lay down my shyness and my fear of feeling foolish, as a sacrifice for obedience.  I hope you will agree to join me in this quest... 


No comments:

Post a Comment