Search This Blog

Friday 25 January 2013

Nature's Medicine



I’ve recently finished an excellent book by the Author Barbara Brown Taylor called ‘Leaving Church’.  It is a book that I recommend every person in Ministry should read. Among many other lessons learnt, I discovered the importance of honouring the Sabbath. This sadly seems to have been forgotten as our lives have gotten more hectic over the years and yet it is one of the 10 Commandments.  I remember when I was growing up in South Africa, nothing was even open on a Sunday. It has unfortunately completely changed since then, but even in Scotland, it is hard to maintain a day of rest in our lives, when everything continues to buzz around us.  For me, Sunday seems the obvious day to choose, as going to Church in the morning is a good way to start the day right, but I admit it’s a struggle to not ‘work’ for the remainder of the day.  In her book, Barbara shares how coming back to nature has the ability to restore our balance and peace. I learnt that nature is God’s medicine to do this. So for one day, I challenge you to join me in getting back to nature - sit on a park bench, or watch and listen to the birds, or take a walk on the beach. Whatever you choose to do, stop, rest and take in nature’s scenery while breathing out all your troubles from the week. I don’t believe it matters what day we choose, especially since so many of us do work odd hours, but for one day, or even just a part of one, we need to press the pause button in our lives, take a break from its many demands and get back in touch with nature.  It’s a lesson that has so many benefits for your mind and body, that once we start, we will understand why God made it a command…

No comments:

Post a Comment