Search This Blog

Saturday 6 October 2012

A Lesson in Patience

My greatest lesson in patience was orchestrated by God using a simple thing like my trainers (or if you're from South Africa, tekkies and for other countries jogging shoes). For many years I had a favourite pair that were pink and white and had a zip in the front instead of laces. They were so quick to slip on and off and I loved wearing them. However, after many years, they eventually got a hole in the sole, and I was forced to find a replacement. But alas, I hunted high and low, but could not find the same zip kind that was as comfortable as the ones I had. In the end, I reluctantly ended up buying a pair that had shoe-laces and boy, have they been a huge test on my patience! For one thing, I could no longer just slip into them in second. It seems to take me ages to undo the laces wide enough to fit my feet in, then to readjust the laces so the ends are the same length and then to tie them into a bow. However, the laces are so long they even need to be double-tied! And then getting home to take them off, I first have to struggle to undo the knot of the double-bow, and then only loosen the laces. This all takes a frustrating amount of time! Yes, I have tried just slipping them on and off, but it is impossible - I even have a broken nail as proof! I have to declare, laces were invented for the mega-patient and the not-so-lazy! I feel sorry for my daughter's generation who are growing up with velcro ones. They too will have a hard time adjusting to frustrations of laces in their future.  I just hope they find it a smoother adjustment than I have and that their patience will not be as sorely tested. But then again, they do say that patience can only grow when it is well practiced, so at least I have that reward to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment