Search This Blog

Saturday 6 October 2012

Be Like a Cow



I heard a very descriptive phrase the other day that really made an impression on me.  It was that we are to be like a cow eating grass, in the way we read the Bible.  Not just to graze on it selectively, a bit here and there, but to chew on an area for ages, then to store it and regurgitate on it throughout the day.  We know that the Bible teaches us to meditate on the scriptures, praying for the Holy Spirit to reveal its hidden truths, but very few of us really know what it means to meditate. The definition of meditate is to think deeply, focus and/or contemplate on something. It is just like worrying incessantly, but instead of towards negative thoughts, towards something powerfully positive!
So now, each morning when I read my Bible, I smile to myself and picture myself as a cow, grazing on luscious, green grass in God’s meadow, keeping it in my cheeks (or rather mind) to regurgitate on it during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment